The Prime Minister is famous because they are the head of the Australian Government. This means they are a member of parliament and they lead the parliamentary party or coalition of parties with the support of the majority of members in the House of Representatives.
The Prime Minister has to do many important jobs that get a lot of attention in the media and the community; these include:
- chairing meetings in which the government discusses important matters and examines bills (proposed laws)
- selecting members of the government to be ministers
- meeting with top-level ministers in Cabinet to decide government policy
- acting as the chief government spokesperson
- representing the Australian Government overseas
- advising the Governor-General about constitutional issues, as well as the appointment of ambassadors and heads of government departments.
You can find out more about the work of the Prime Minister here.