Hi Adam, thank you for your question. The main role of Members of the House of Representatives and Senators is to put forward the views of the people they represent. They do this by:
- debating and voting on bills (proposed laws)
- working on parliamentary committees that examine important issues
- scrutinising (closely examining) the work of the government
- discussing issues of national and international importance
- helping constituents who may be having difficulties with issues such as taxes, immigration, health or pensions
- dealing with local concerns for constituents, such as road construction or environmental issues.
Need more information? Check out this fact sheet on Members of the House of Representatives and this fact sheet on Senators.